Knowledge. Integrity. Experience.

Missouri Divorce & Family Law Blog

What is Emancipation

The act of freeing someone from restraint or bondage. For example, on January 1, 1863, slaves in the confederate states were declared free by an executive order of President Lincoln, known as the “Emancipation Proclamation.” After the Civ… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

How does an annulment differ from a divorce?

Like a divorce, an annulment is a court procedure that dissolves a marriage. But, unlike a divorce, an annulment treats the marriage as though it never happened. For some people, divorce carries a stigma, and they would rather their marriage be annul… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

What is an Uncontested Divorce?

A divorce automatically granted by a court when the spouse who is served with a summons and complaint for divorce fails to file a formal response with the court. Many divorces proceed this way when the spouses have worked everything out and thereR… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

Tax Breaks Every Parent Should Know About

Learn about tax breaks available to most parents. New parents often find themselves overwhelmed by the expenses that come with a baby. From nursery furnishings to “onesies” to countless diapers, your little bundle of joy is going to cost… Read More
Categories: Financial Issues

The New Bankruptcy Law

The hards facts just don’t lie. Divorce and bankruptcy sometimes go together. In an effort to help you understand what the changes in the new law will mean to those facing bankruptcy after October 17th, I have provided an article from Nolo. Her… Read More
Categories: Assets and Debts

How can I keep custody of my daughter when her father has a criminal record?

QUESTION: My daughter is almost seven months old. Her father will soon be 20, but he acts like he is 12. He’s used drugs and has a criminal record (for assaults). Since my daughter’s birth, he has only visited her once a month and given h… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

Changing Your Name After Divorce

I took my husband’s name when I married, but now we’re getting divorced and I’d like to return to my former name. How do I do that? In most states, you can request that the judge handling your divorce make a formal order restoring y… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

Searching for Hidden Assets at Divorce

How to find property your spouse may be concealing when you divorce. This list includes common ways in which a spouse may undervalue or disguise marital assets: * Antiques, artwork, hobby equipment, gun collections, and tools that are overlooked or u… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

Temporary Orders in Family Court

What kind of temporary orders you can get in family court, and how. Typical lawsuits take months, if not years, to make it to court. But if you’re getting divorced and need a quick decision from a judge about who gets the kids, the car, the mon… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

Choosing a Guardian for Your Children

If you have children, you should choose a personal guardian — someone to raise them in the unlikely event you can’t. If your children are young, you’ve probably thought about who would raise them if for some reason you and the other… Read More
Categories: Other Updates

Mark A. Wortman

Mark A. Wortman's Profile Image
Kansas City family law attorney Mark A. Wortman handles only divorce and family law matters, and practices only in the State of Missouri. Due to this specialty, Mark has handled thousands of Missouri divorce and family cases and has practiced extensi… Read More